The British Library Business & IP Centre announced a new partnership with Google as part of the Google Digital Garage initiative to give over 5,000 start-up businesses all the tips and advice they need to be successful online.
This new partnership will enable the British Library Business and IP Centre (BIPC) to host free online webinars via Google Digital Garage, held fortnightly through the year, that will cover some of the essential digital aspects that small businesses need to consider to build their brand, including the basics of digital marketing and how to make your business more visible online. The next session will be held on Wednesday 27 July and more will be announced on the BIPC website soon.
Isabel Oswell, Head of Business Audiences at the British Library, said: We are delighted to be partnering with Google on such an exciting and ambitious project. As our Business & IP Centre Network grows and our national reach expands, we are joining forces with Google Garage to enhance the digital skills of UK SMEs and thereby boost sales and economic growth.
Eileen Naughton, Googles Managing Director for UK & Ireland, said: It can be easy to think that technology is just for start-ups, but we know it can bring real growth to all businesses. So with fewer than 30% of SMEs having an effective online presence were working to help jumpstart the other 70%. At a time when there is pressure for the UK to boost productivity to contribute to real wage increases, we believe Google can be a real growth engine that helps deliver these gains.
The Google Digital Garage is a new initiative to help 200,000 British businesses learn crucial skills for the digital age, and use the power of the internet to boost growth and reach more customers. They also provide physical pop-up hubs across the country, including Newcastle City Library and Manchester Central Library.
Over 88% of businesses that attended a Digital Garage training session state that they have changed the way they run or promote their business online, with 68% saying theyve seen positive results in increased sales, bookings, web traffic or social media following after Googles free training.
The webinars will be led by Gori Yahaya, Head of Training and Development for the Digital Garage from Google. He has over 10 years of experience consulting and training many SMEs, charities, business owners, entrepreneurs and students on how to boost their digital skills and harness the power of the internet and Google tools effectively to drive growth for their business.
To participate in one of these webinars, please visit the Business & IP Centre website
The British Library Business & IP Centre supports entrepreneurs and innovators from that first spark of inspiration to successfully launching and growing a business. It provides a comprehensive collection of databases and publications, plus a programme of practical workshops, one-to-one advice sessions and inspiring talks, with 99% of users saying they would recommend the Centre to others.