The new entrance to the Van Gogh Museum
opened to the public on 5 September. To mark the opening, a gigantic labyrinth made up of 125,000 sunflowers has been created on Museumplein. The labyrinth is open to the public free of charge on Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 September. The labyrinth contains three Van Gogh inspiration rooms where visitors can enjoy performances by singer-songwriters, among other things. The sunflowers will be handed out to the public free of charge from 4 pm on Sunday.
Director Axel Rüger: This is our way of celebrating the opening of our brand-new entrance on Museumplein. The building went very smoothly and was completed entirely within the tight 18-month schedule and on budget. The glass entrance hall features advanced glass constructions, installations and modern floors and walls. There is a new spacious and light reception area with cloakrooms, and a completely redesigned museum shop with over 500 new products. The new entrance, improved logistics and this larger reception area enable us to welcome more visitors even more hospitably. Our museum is now also better oriented on the refurbished Museumplein, on which all the surrounding cultural institutions have now established their entrances. The transparent entrance hall with its state-of-the-art glass constructions is a real asset to the Van Gogh Museum as well as Museumplein.
By enclosing the empty sunken pond on its Museumplein side, the Van Gogh Museum has gained 800 square metres of floor space. This new entrance hall offers numerous benefits. The neighbouring Stedelijk Museum and Rijksmuseum have recently relocated their main entrances to face Museumplein, and now the Van Gogh Museum is following suit.
The new glass structure is also positioned conveniently between the original museum building designed by Gerrit Rietveld and the more recent temporary exhibitions wing, providing better access to and between them. The additional 800 square metres will improve visitor flows and create more room to welcome and assist them. The museum is now better equipped to cope with the expected future rise in visitor numbers. And the entrance hall has a flexible layout, allowing it to host gatherings and receptions of various sizes.
Outside the museum, on Willem Sandbergplein which separates it from the Stedelijk Museum the City of Amsterdam has created a waiting area where visitors who have not purchased their tickets in advance can buy them at one of the new ticket desks.
High-quality glass structure with an open, transparent design
The open and literally transparent entrance hall has been built using the very latest glass construction techniques and contrasts wonderfully with the solid outer wall of the temporary exhibitions wing. Its frontage consists of 650 square metres of cold bent glass, with 30 so-called roof fins also in glass and up to 12 metres in length and 20 glass columns up to 9.4 metres high, all mounted on a load-bearing structure containing 65 tonnes of steel.
Visitors descend from the street-level entrance to the sunken foyer by a magnificent glass staircase, an illuminated escalator or a glazed panoramic lift. In the foyer are a cloakroom with space for 2200 coats and 1700 bags, an array of 1450 audio tours and a brand new museum shop. This is selling some 500 exclusive new products, created in collaboration with leading local and international luxury brands like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Gassan Diamonds, SMAAK and Pommery, or by Dutch designers inspired by Van Gogh and his work. They include Hester van Eeghen, Tord Boontje, Edward van Vliet and Droog Design.
The draft design for the new entrance hall was prepared by Kisho Kurokawa Architect and Associates, the firm founded by the late Kisho Kurokawa, designer of the temporary exhibitions wing opened in 1999. Hans van Heeswijk Architecten then elaborated on this to create a solution in which the existing wing and the new structure form a surprising new whole.