announced the opening this week of its new office on the ground floor at 154 De Lairessestraat in Amsterdam.
The office provides greater space for viewing art and for meeting to provide valuations. It will act as the companys hub for northern Europe and an important access point to the international art market. The decision to expand in Holland follows the reduced presence of two other international auction houses from the country.
Saskia Magnin, who directs Bonhams operation in the Netherlands, comments: It is a very exciting time to be opening our new facility happening as it is amid all the excitement of 2013 which is proving to be an important artistic and cultural year for Amsterdam. We have the crowning of the New King on 30 April, the Rijksmuseum opened on 13 April, the Stedelijk Museum (Modern Art) opened in February, and we also have the reopening of the Van Gogh Museum expected in May, and the opening of the Maritime Museum (Scheepvaartmuseum) last year after renovation. And of course and this is also the 400th anniversary of the Grachten gordel: (the Canal area) which is on the Unesco World cultural heritage list. Amsterdam is back on the map as a major cultural destination.
Next week, on May 2nd there is a major sale of Dutch glass at Bonhams in London from the: finest SINGLE-OWNER COLLECTION OF EUROPEAN GLASS FROM 1500-1850 FOR AN ESTIMATED ONE MILLION EUROS. The Mühleib Collection of European Glass from 1500 -1850, a fantastic selection of rare quality glass, will be sold by Bonhams in London in New Bond Street. It includes two signed and dated 17th century engraved calligraphic glasses by Willem van Heemskerk and the later 18th century stipple-engraving of Frans Greenwood, Aart Schouman, Alius and David Wolff.
The day before, on May 1st Bonhams fine Glass Sale includes a goblet fit for a Dutch coronation made in tribute to Prince William V of Orange (1748-1806) estimated to sell for £50,000 to £70,000. Lot 116 is a highly important Beilby enamelled and gilt Royal armorial light-baluster wine glass for Prince William V of Orange and Nassau, circa 1766. The round funnel bowl painted in colours and gilt with the arms of the Nassau Princes of Orange encircled by the Garter and surmounted by a crown and mantling, the lion supporters on a ribbon bearing the motto JE MAIN TIEN DRAY, the reverse with a white butterfly, below a gilt line rim, set on a tall multi-knopped stem and conical foot.