Elite collectors of game used material were out in force on Saturday night as Heritage Auctions
dropped the hammer on millions of dollars of high-end collectibles, with 20 lots commanding sale prices in excess of $100,000. The auction set nearly one-dozen world records across game-used jerseys, bats, and rare sports cards.
The only known Hank Aaron game used rookie bat dwarfed the standing world record for Hank's hammers, selling for $132,000 price nearly quadrupling the former auction price realized. Mel Ott lumber likewise found a new champion as a rookie gamer set a world record when it more than doubled the former record with a $168,000 result. In addition, Johnny Unitas' 1959 championship game jersey narrowly topped the standing record for postwar NFL models (likewise held by Heritage) selling for $96,000.
Rare and high-grade trading cards remained red-hot, with a red portrait T206 Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb back (PSA VG+ 3.5) leading the way at $408,000. Rookie cards of Stan Musial (1948 Leaf #4, PSA Mint 9) set a $312,000 world record, and a Joe Namath (1965 Topps #122, PSA Mint 9) followed close behind at $264,000, setting a world record for the card.
Autographed material likewise exhibited enduring fortitude, with a world record $78,000 result for a Mickey Mantle signed example of his 1952 Topps rookie card. A PSA/DNA Mint 9 single-signed Babe Ruth baseball also set a world record in that grade with a final tally of $228,000 the highest price paid for a Mint 9 example.
Other notable results include:
· $400,800: 1920-22 Babe Ruth Game Used Bat with Polo Grounds Bat Exhibition Provenance, PSA/DNA GU 10
· $246,000: 1936-38 Lou Gehrig Game Used Bat, PSA/DNA GU 9
· $168,000 WORLD RECORD: 1902 W600 Sporting Life Honus Wagner Street Clothes Type 1 PSA VG+ 3.5
· $144,000: 1903 World Series Game Eight Program
· $120,000: 1953 Mickey Mantle World Series Game Used Bat, PSA/DNA GU 10
· $90,000: 1934 Jimmie Foxx Game Used Bat with Family Provenance, PSA/DNA GU 9
· $66,000 WORLD RECORD: 1973 Tom Seaver World Series Game Worn & Signed New York Mets Jersey from Cy Young Season
· $57,600 WORLD RECORD: 1923 New York Yankees Team Signed Baseball with Lou Gehrig
· $43,200 WORLD RECORD: 1948 "The Babe Bows Out" Pulitzer Prize-Winning Original Photograph, PSA/DNA Type 1, believed to be the actual first print used for newspaper publication
Heritage Auctions' Sports Department has a full slate this spring with important catalog auctions set April 19-20 and May 10-11.