CHICAGO, IL.- The Richard H. Driehaus Museum
in Chicago has announced that it will reopen to the general public on Saturday, August 29, following its temporary closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Museum also announced a members-only preview on Saturday, August 22 and Sunday, August 23.
To ensure the health and safety of visitors and staff, new measures have been put in place. This includes operating at reduced capacity, enhanced cleaning protocols, and new directional signage indicating appropriate social distancing. Visitors are strongly encouraged to purchase timed tickets in advance to secure entry for their preferred dates and times.
The Museum has also adjusted its days and hours of operation: Friday hours are now 11AM to 7PM, Saturdays are 11AM to 5PM, and Sundays are 11AM to 3PM. The Museum will reopen with the exhibition PAN: Prints of Avant Garde Europe, 1895-1900. The exhibition A Tale of Today: Nate Young and Mika Horibuchi, which was going to open in April, will now open on Saturday, September 26.
PAN: Prints of Avant Garde Europe, 1895-1900 explores the history and influence of the visual and literary arts magazine PAN, considered one of the first avant-garde magazines. The magazine featured work by some of the most important painters and graphic artists of the time, including Aubrey Beardsley, Käthe Kollwitz,Auguste Rodin, Georges Seurat, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, and Max Liebermann.
The Driehaus Museum will also present a small companion exhibition, The Chap-Book and William H. Bradley, in the third floor Sewing Room. This show will feature lithography prints by artist William Bradley from The Richard H. Driehaus Collection. One of the most successful magazine cover artists of the time, Bradleys work was featured many times on the cover of The Chap-Book, one of the first American little magazines which followed the English, French, and German esoteric magazines popular at the end of the nineteenth-century. Although it was initially published in Cambridge, Massachusetts, The Chap-Books publishers moved to Chicago in 1894, where it was published until its final issue came out in 1898.