OKLAHOMA CITY, OK.-
Now open in Founders Hall at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art
, OKCMOA at 75 traces the history of the Museum from its founding through the present day. Through more than 40 newspaper clippings, photographs, letters, publications and the scrapbooks kept by the Museums first director, Nan Sheets, the historical exhibition explores the Museums rich past. OKCMOA at 75 is on view in the Museums lobby and is free to visit.
This exhibition was fun to put together since the Museum has such substantial archives to comb through, said Dr. Bryn Schockmel, curator of the exhibition. We can learn a lot about the Museums collection through the letters, newspaper articles, receipts and scrapbooks kept by previous generations. Nan Sheets meticulous records help us piece together the Museums early history. I hope visitors leave this exhibition proud of Oklahoma Citys art collection and excited to share our Museum with friends and family.
Treasures featured in the installation include:
Dale Chihulys model of The Eleanor Blake Kirkpatrick Memorial Tower, along with his designs for the installation of his glass art
A copy of a page from the notebook of artist Robert Henri about his painting Bullfight at Pozuelo
A hand-written letter from Roberta McCain, Oklahoma native and mother of Sen. John McCain, regarding her donation of a portrait by Peter Lely
A newspaper clipping from 1963 about Verna and Raymond Youngs collection, which went on to become one of the most substantial donations of art to the then-new Oklahoma City Museum of Art in 2002
A letter from artist Paul Cadmus to Director Carolyn Hill, regarding his painting Ricordi Etruschi, also on display
An assortment of material related to the painting Soil and Subsoil by Alexandre Hogue, including a letter written by the artist himself
Photographs of Director Nan Sheets and the Oklahoma Art Center dating from the 1930s
The story of OKCMOA begins with the opening of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) Experimental Gallery in 1936 in downtown Oklahoma City. Two years later, the gallery relocated to the larger Municipal Auditorium in the Civic Center. The Oklahoma Art Center was incorporated on May 19, 1945. Sheets was appointed director of the new center, and over the next 30 years, she helped shape the Museums collection into what it is today.
After two decades in the Municipal Auditorium, the Oklahoma Art Center moved again to its new Fairgrounds location in 1958. In 1968, the OAC purchased the collection of the Washington Gallery of Modern Art, a short-lived contemporary art museum in Washington, D.C. This prompted the formation of the separate Oklahoma Museum of Conservative Art with a focus on representational works which relocated to Buttram Mansion in 1977. In 1989, the two museums merged to become the Oklahoma City Art Museum.
Construction on the Museums new home at its current site began in 2000, and on March 16, 2002, the Oklahoma City Museum of Art opened its doors.
OKCMOA at 75 will be open through April 25, 2021. The Museum is currently operating with timed ticketing and limited capacity and is open Wednesday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m. Entrance to the Museums galleries is $12 for adults with discounts for military members, seniors and students. Kids 17 and under are always free.