Museum insider, Moldovans arrested over 17 artworks stolen in November
The First Art Newspaper on the Net    Established in 1996 Sunday, August 31, 2025


Museum insider, Moldovans arrested over 17 artworks stolen in November
The 17 artworks disappeared in November from the northern city's Castelvecchio museum, which values the missing canvases at 15 million euros ($16 million).



ROME (AFP).- Italian authorities said Wednesday they have pinned last year's theft of Rubens and Tintoretto masterpieces in Verona on a Moldovan gang they believe was helped by a museum security guard.

But despite ordering 12 arrests in Moldova and Italy they have yet to recover any of the 17 artworks that disappeared in November from the northern city's Castelvecchio museum, which values the missing canvases at 15 million euros ($16 million).

"We are on the right track but we have not yet been able to put our hands on the missing paintings," Verona prosecutor Mario Giulio Schinaia was quoted as saying by local media.

At the time of the robbery, police said it appeared the works had been stolen 'to order' for a private collector, given the difficulty anyone would have in selling on works by such well-known artists.

Three masked men entered the 14th century building at the evening change of guard, slipping in after the museum had been emptied but before its state-of-the-art security system had been put into overnight mode.

A security guard and another member of staff were tied up before the pictures were taken.

The guard is one of the suspects arrested, along with his brother and the brother's Moldovan girlfriend, who is suspected of having alerted the robbers to the potential to pull off the audacious heist.

The thieves' haul included "Portrait of a Lady" by Flemish Baroque painter Peter Paul Rubens and "Male Portrait" by Venetian artist Tintoretto, as well as works by Pisanello, Jacopo Bellini, Giovanni Francesco Caroto and Hans de Jode.

Another acclaimed work, "The Conversion of Saul", by Italian Renaissance painter Guilio Licinio, was damaged during the robbery but has since been successfully restored.



© 1994-2016 Agence France-Presse










Today's News

March 17, 2016

Museum insider, Moldovans arrested over 17 artworks stolen in November

Anne Frank's copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales comes to auction at Swann Galleries

Never before sold contact sheet of David Bowie by Helmut Newton at Heritage Auctions

George Gund III bequeaths significant collection of Japanese art to Cleveland Museum of Art and Asian Art Museum

Mexican artist Gabriel de la Mora's first-ever solo exhibition in Europe opens at Timothy Taylor Gallery

Harry Moore-Gwyn announces British and Continental Pictures and Prints Sale at 25 Blythe Road

Europe's 7 most endangered heritage sites 2016 announced: Leading heritage organisation

Sotheby's HK announces Modern and Contemporary Southeast Asian Art Spring Sale 2016

Made in Britain Sale realises £2,115,592 million at Sotheby's London

Russia's most famous faces come to the UK for the first time in gallery's cultural exchange with Moscow

Strong sales for traditional, modern and contemporary works of art at BADA Fair 2016

First solo exhibition of work by Wang Guangle in Europe opens at Pace London

Cortesi Gallery opens its first exhibition in London dedicated to Agostino Bonalumi

Scottish painter Alison Watt opens exhibition at Parafin

Barkley L. Hendricks' second solo exhibition with Jack Shainman Gallery opens in New York

First Pollock Prize for Creativity awarded to Gideon Mendel

Some blue in my mouth: Exhibition of works by Caroline Mesquita opens at MOT International

Christie's to offer rare atlases and narratives from renowned explorers

Phillips appoints new Head of 20th Century and Contemporary Art & Deputy Chairman for Asia

Rare Public Enemy, Frankenstein and Gilda movie posters headline Heritage Auctions March sale

Russia detains minister held in $700,000 fraud probe

Alphachanneling’s first solo exhibition opens at Jack Hanley Gallery

Phoenix Art Museum exhibits world-famous baseball card collection

"Access Art: Touch Tours" provides tactile art experience




Museums, Exhibits, Artists, Milestones, Digital Art, Architecture, Photography,
Photographers, Special Photos, Special Reports, Featured Stories, Auctions, Art Fairs,
Anecdotes, Art Quiz, Education, Mythology, 3D Images, Last Week, .

 




Founder:
Ignacio Villarreal
(1941 - 2019)


Editor: Ofelia Zurbia Betancourt

Art Director: Juan José Sepúlveda Ramírez

Royalville Communications, Inc
produces:

ignaciovillarreal.org facundocabral-elfinal.org
Founder's Site. Hommage
       

The First Art Newspaper on the Net. The Best Versions Of Ave Maria Song Junco de la Vega Site Ignacio Villarreal Site
Tell a Friend
Dear User, please complete the form below in order to recommend the Artdaily newsletter to someone you know.
Please complete all fields marked *.
Sending Mail
Sending Successful