'What a horrible place this would have been'
The First Art Newspaper on the Net    Established in 1996 Saturday, July 20, 2024

'What a horrible place this would have been'
Wade Catts, an archaeologist, at the Red Bank Battlefield site where the remains of Hessian soldiers killed in 1777 were found, in New Jersey on Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2022. Archaeologists uncovered the remains of 13 Hessian soldiers killed by American forces in the bloody Battle of Red Bank near Philadelphia. Michelle Gustafson/The New York Times.

by Zach Zorich

NEW YORK, NY.- This spring, a team of archaeologists and volunteers began painstakingly digging into the history of Fort Mercer, a Revolutionary War fortification on the Delaware River that is now the centerpiece of Red Bank Battlefield Park in National Park, New Jersey.

During the war, Continental Army soldiers were stationed at the fort to keep the British and their Hessian mercenary allies from resupplying troops in nearby Philadelphia. On Oct. 22, 1777, the army repelled a major assault by Hessian forces. Little-known today, the Battle of Red Bank was brief and ferocious, marking one of the worst defeats the Hessians suffered in the war.

The archaeologists were focused on excavating a trench that had been used to defend the fort during the battle. “My sense was we were going to be looking at the kind of trash that a garrison might throw away,” said Wade Catts, principal archaeologist with South River Heritage Consulting in Newark, Delaware. Catts led the dig with Jennifer Janofsky, park director and a historian at Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey.

Instead, at about 2 p.m. on June 26, the last day of field work, the team found a leg bone; they quickly determined that it had belonged to one of the attacking Hessians. It was the first human bone to be found at the site since 1904, when a new fence was built at the battlefield. Over the next few weeks, the group recovered the remains of 14 individuals, which promise to provide scientists with a detailed look at military life and death in that era. “I didn’t really think we were going to get a mass burial,” Catts said.

On the day of the attack in 1777, the Hessians surely thought the same. The force of 2,300 mercenaries was led by Col. Carl Emil Ulrich von Donop, a courageous leader with a fiery temper, according to letters written by his officers. The fort was defended by only 534 soldiers, including members of the Sixth Virginia Regiment and the New Jersey militia, as well as members of the First and Second Rhode Island Regiments, two of the nation’s first integrated military units. Forty-eight of the American soldiers were Black; the regiments also included Native Americans of the Narragansett people.

Von Donop was confident of victory. Fort Mercer “will be Fort Donop or I shall be dead,” he wrote to Gen. William Howe, commander of the British military forces. When the Hessians arrived at the fort, von Donop sent an officer to call for the Americans to surrender. “The King of England orders his rebellious subjects to lay down their arms,” the demand stated. “If they stand battle, no quarter whatever will be given.”

The American commander, Col. Christopher Greene, soon replied: The Americans accepted the challenge, and no quarter should be taken on either side. Fighting commenced at 4 p.m. From the river, 13 galleys of the Pennsylvania Navy immediately bombarded the Hessians with cannon fire, and the soldiers inside Fort Mercer opened up with muskets and 14 cannons of their own. Two battalions and one regiment of Hessian soldiers advanced through the barrage. Their assault was slowed by trees that had been cut down; branches had been sharpened and stacked in a line around the fort. The battle lasted just 75 minutes; when it was over, 377 Hessian soldiers — and just 14 Americans — were dead.

The horror of that afternoon was soon apparent to the archaeologists. From an excavation pit 10 feet wide, 30 feet long and 4 1/2-feet deep, they recovered 14 skulls and numerous other human bones. Catts believes that the soldiers belonged to the Regiment von Mirbach and that they were at the center of the Hessian formations during the assault. The injuries to one soldier, Catts said, included “a musket ball in the lower part of his back above where his pelvis should be; a lead canister shot in the middle of his back, where he had no more thoracic vertebra; and then a 1 1/2-inch iron grapeshot that seems to have taken off his left arm.”

Janofsky noted that the ships on the river were firing chain shot and bar shot at the Hessians, ammunition that is designed to destroy a ship’s rigging. “These guys were being hit by all kinds of things,” Catts said. “What a horrible place this would have been.”

According to accounts written by surviving Hessian officers, most of the wounded were left on the battlefield. The Hessians had not brought wagons to carry them and the American soldiers, fearing another attack, remained inside the fort. “It is painful for me to lose so many good people, I can’t describe it and I have not recovered from it,” Lt. Col. Ludwig Johann Adolph von Wurmb, who took part in the assault, wrote a few days later. “The tragedy of our poor wounded here in America is not describable without shedding tears, and those left behind with the enemy have no aid.”

That night, a group of American soldiers ventured out to repair some of the defenses. A voice called out from the battlefield: “Whoever you are, take me out of here.” It was von Donop, who had been shot in the hip.

According to Capt. Thomas Antoine Mauduit du Plessis, the French engineer leading the group, an American soldier shouted out, “Well now, is it agreed that no quarter will be given?” The colonel replied, “I am in your hands. You may take your revenge.” The Americans brought him into the fort and cared for him until he died a week later.

The rest of the Hessian wounded were left where they lay until the next day, when American soldiers were tasked with burying the dead. The ditch in front of the fort may have been an easy place to dispose of the bodies, Janofsky said. “Are we looking at somebody who was shot, died and is buried?” she said. “Or are we looking at what the burial party did on Oct. 23, 1777, which was essentially pitching bodies into a convenient hole?”

The first human bone recovered, a femur, was found in the excavation pit by Joe Reilly, a self-described history nerd and volunteer, and Wayne Wilson, another volunteer excavator. As soon as it emerged, all digging stopped — the standard procedure when human bones are found. Anna Delaney, the forensic anthropologist for the New Jersey State Police, was called in, and she determined that the femur did not belong to someone who had died recently. Its advanced state of deterioration made that obvious, she said.

In the next weeks, Delaney helped remove all the human remains from the site and preserved them in her lab, where they will be analyzed and, hopefully, will begin to reveal details of the soldiers’ lives. She and Thomas Crist, a forensic anthropologist at Utica University who has worked on Revolutionary War remains, plan to study the chemical composition of the bones. Certain stable isotopes, and the presence of trace elements, can help determine where a person grew up and what that person’s diet and health were like later in life.

Delaney and Crist also hope to recover DNA from the bones and from traces of blood on some of the artifacts. Genetic analysis may allow the researchers to reconstruct the soldiers’ family trees and to learn their identities, Delaney said. “To be able to give one of these soldiers their name back, to give their family back something,” Delaney said, “I think that is actually the most exciting part of the whole process.” Once the analyses are complete, the bones will be reburied in a location yet to be determined.

Some of the artifacts recovered from the site tell their own stories. A row of buttons was found, laid out as if they had rested on a coat that was thrown into the trench and that subsequently rotted away. The buttons fit the description of those on the uniforms of the Regiment von Mirbach, Janofsky said. She suspects that the coat may have been used to transport severed body parts to the trench.

Another intriguing artifact found at the site was a British gold coin, worth about one month’s salary for the average soldier, that Catts thinks may have belonged to Lt. Col. Ernst Rudolf von Schieck, who commanded the Hessian regiment and died in the fighting.

For Janofsky, the human remains add poignancy to the story of the battle. Among the dead was a man between 17 and 19 years old, the same age as many of her history students. “Very few of us have seen the violence of the battlefield, and it’s what we’ve been looking at for the past months,” she said. “I feel like we are charged with helping our visitors understand that moment.”

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

Today's News

August 9, 2022

Investigators say collector had suspect art and lots of chutzpah

'What a horrible place this would have been'

Roland Auctions NY rounds out summer series of auction with August 13th multi-estates sale

Olivia Newton-John, sweet-voiced pop singer and 'Grease' star, dies at 73

Rescuing art in Ukraine with foam, crates and cries for help

U.S. returns 30 looted antiquities to Cambodia

Eight works by four African American photographers and a photographs by Manuel Álvarez Bravo enter collection

Like bees of the seas, these crustaceans pollinate seaweed

MoMA PS1 opens exhibition on art and public space in New York City

Koestler Arts announces details of its annual UK Exhibition to be curated by Ai Weiwei

Bellmans' August auctions proof that bidders don't take time off during the summer

Gazelli Art House presents the debut solo exhibition of gallery represented artist Khaleb Brooks

Jess T. Dugan joins CLAMP

Cherokee Museum granted land use permit for future collections facility

The Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp will reopen on 24 September 2022

In defense of 'Diana,' the show we didn't deserve

At Mostly Mozart concerts, casual vibes and high musical values

High scores abound as $384,000 copy of 'Legend of Zelda' drives Heritage's Video Game Auction to $4.46 million

David McCullough, bestselling explorer of America's past, dies at 89

Rakajoo opens his first solo exhibition in China at Danysz Shanghai

RISD Museum opens 'Helina Metaferia We've Been Here Before'

Firetti Contemporary presents a collective exhibition including ten women artists from the UAE

'The Devil Wears Prada' review: An adaptation that needs tailoring

Alexander and Bonin presents an exhibition of works by

A Beginners Guide To Photo Editing

Best Ways to Capture Your Wedding for Long Lasting Memories

10 Things to Consider Before Installing a Garden Fence

Everything You Need To Know About Closure Wigs

Museums, Exhibits, Artists, Milestones, Digital Art, Architecture, Photography,
Photographers, Special Photos, Special Reports, Featured Stories, Auctions, Art Fairs,
Anecdotes, Art Quiz, Education, Mythology, 3D Images, Last Week, .


Ignacio Villarreal
(1941 - 2019)
Editor & Publisher: Jose Villarreal
Art Director: Juan José Sepúlveda Ramírez
Writer: Ofelia Zurbia Betancourt

Truck Accident Attorneys
Accident Attorneys

Royalville Communications, Inc

ignaciovillarreal.org juncodelavega.com facundocabral-elfinal.org
Founder's Site. Hommage
to a Mexican poet.

The First Art Newspaper on the Net. The Best Versions Of Ave Maria Song Junco de la Vega Site Ignacio Villarreal Site Parroquia Natividad del Señor
Tell a Friend
Dear User, please complete the form below in order to recommend the Artdaily newsletter to someone you know.
Please complete all fields marked *.
Sending Mail
Sending Successful