Fire can be hazardous and destructive. If a fire starts in your home, there are some essential things you need to do to ensure your safety and the safety of your loved ones. Some statistics about fires:
-Fire is the third leading cause of death in the home.
-In 2021, every 24 seconds, a fire department in the United States responds to a fire somewhere
-These fires caused 3,915 civilian deaths, 17,745 civilian injuries, and $10.5 billion in direct property damage.
-Fires occur most often in the winter months.
If a fire starts, here are the most important things you need to do:
1. Get out of the house as quickly as possible. Make sure everyone in the house knows where the exit is and how to get there.
2. Call 911 and report the fire.
3. Do not fight the fire yourself leave that to the firefighters.
4. Stay outside until firefighters tell you it is safe to go back inside. Do not go back into a burning building for any reason.
5. Have an evacuation plan and practice it, so everyone in your family knows what to do in case of a fire.
If a fire starts in your home, remember to stay calm and follow these essential steps. By following these simple tips, you can ensure the safety of yourself and your loved ones during a dangerous situation.
For more information on how to stay safe during a fire, please visit the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) website. The NFPA has lots of helpful information on keeping your family safe from fires, including tips on creating an evacuation plan, what to do if you are trapped in a burning building, and more.
How to safely operate a fire extinguisher
It is important to know how to operate a fire extinguisher when a fire breaks out safely. If you are ever in a situation where you need to use a fire extinguisher, remember these simple steps:
1. Pull the pin. This will release the locking mechanism and allow you to activate the extinguisher.
2. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing at the base of the flames.
3. Squeeze the trigger to discharge the extinguishing agent.
4. Sweep the nozzle from side to side, continuing to squirt until the flames are completely extinguished.
5. Replace the pin after use.
Remember these simple steps, and you can safely operate a fire extinguisher in an emergency.
Why could a fire watch be a good idea?
Fire watch guards
are a good idea for any business or organization that uses open flames, such as candles or fireplaces, to create a warm and inviting environment. A fire watch is a specially trained individual who monitors the area for any signs of fire and takes action quickly to extinguish any flames.
If your business or organization uses open flames, it is essential to have fire watch guards
in place to ensure the safety of your guests or employees. For more information on fire watches and how to implement one in your business or organization, please visit the National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA) website. In addition, the NFPA has lots of helpful information on how to keep your family safe from fires, including tips on implementing a fire watch.
Thank you for reading this guide on how to stay safe during a fire. By following these simple tips, you can ensure the safety of yourself and your loved ones during a dangerous situation.