One of the best feelings during the fall season is swimming in your warm pool. While its such an amazing feeling, it comes with quite the expenses! Did you know that the average cost of pool heating can range between $300 to $1,000 monthly, depending on the pool size?
This is such a downer, which has people limited to using their pools only during the summer season. But wait! Did you know that there are cost-efficient ways to heat your pool without breaking the bank?
If youre wondering how to heat your pool effectively, Ill be showing you 5 methods to follow. Read on!
1. Use Solar Heating Systems
There are so many solar-powered products like solar pool heating systems
made to effectively heat pools. Here are some that you may want to consider investing in:
● Solar covers, or blankets, are one of the simplest ways to heat a pool, as they tackle a major cause of heat loss: Evaporation. All you need to do is to cover your pool every night and when the temperature drops. Whats great about the solar cover is that it keeps your pool heated while protecting your pool from dirt, leaves, and other types of debris.
● Solar panels are similar to solar covers, but they give a more direct and sustained effect when heating pools. You need a small pump, a few hoses, and you can follow instructions on how to use your solar panels to connect with the pump.
● Solar rings are mini circular or ring-shaped solar covers that help heat pools. They will float on your pool water like lily pads, collecting sunlight while protecting the pool from evaporation.
● Liquid solar is a pretty cool innovation thats been introduced recently, which you can find in a pool supply store. Toss these in your pool and they will release liquid spreading around the pool, forming a heat-retaining barrier to heat the pool. The liquid is non-toxic and environmentally friendly, so its completely safe for you and your pool!
2. Build a Windproof Enclosure
Windproof pool enclosures are one of the best ways to keep pools warm when living in windy areas. The wind would alter the pools surface area, which is what has warm water escaping the pool.
With a windproof enclosure, your pool will be protected against the wind, preventing your pool from losing warmth. Another benefit of these enclosures is that your pool will be accessible anytime you want, regardless of the weather.
There are many kinds of wind enclosures you can have professionals install for your pool. The rates would depend on the size and shape of your pool, your location, the materials used, among other factors.
3. Invest in a Pool Heat Pump
Pool heat pumps are valuable investments
, which draw in warm air from the atmosphere. The air will then be used to heat your pool using a low-energy process, with this process harvesting heat from the atmosphere to transfer to your pool water.
This is an effective method that heats your pool quicker than most methods. Furthermore, these heat pumps would rely on the temperature rather than the sun, so the solar rays dont impact the pumps effectiveness.
There are different types of heat pumps to choose from, depending on how you want them to be powered. You can invest in a heat pump pool heater or a gas-reliant pool heater. Gas heaters can maintain a desired pool temperature no matter the weather or climate.
That said, these systems are quite pricey (probably the most expensive method) and arent as environmentally friendly.
4. Try the Black Hose Trick
This is a slightly complicated method, but a great one worth mentioning. This is best suited for those who are on a budget. The black hose trick would use solar energy as a simple and clever way to heat a pool.
What you need is a black garden hose, which you can purchase in your local supply store. Unravel your hose and connect it to the faucet outside your home.
Run the hose to a spot receiving direct sunlight, then wrapping it in coil formation under the direct sun. Now, run the remaining hose in your pool, with the sun heating the water as it flows from your home to your pool. That way, warm water heads to your pool without spending a ton of time, money, and effort!
5. When to Use Heaters
When you now invested in a heater, may it be gas, heat pump, or solar-powered, youll want to make sure you run it at the proper time to get the most out of your investment. Its best to run your heater during the warmest times of the day for it to operate at the optimum Coefficient of Performance.
Wrapping It Up
When it comes to heating your pool, youll be surprised with the various cost-efficient methods you can follow. From using solar power down to makeshift methods like a black hose, you can be creative and take advantage of the many ways to have a swimmable pool no matter the season.
I hope that this article on the different ways to heat a pool helped you out. Dont wait any longer and use any of these methods now!
Do you have any questions or want to share your tips and experiences about using any of these ways to heat a pool? Share them in the comments section below. All of your thoughts are much appreciated!