An essay introduction is very important to an essay. In Fact it is the first step towards crafting a better and perfect essay. A good essay introductory paragraph is very essential because it sets up your argument and tells the reader what to expect from your essay. Some of the goals of an essay introduction are;
i) catch the readers attention
ii) Give background information on the topic
iii) present the thesis statement.
First of all, you need to know the definition of an essay introduction, its purpose and the elements that make up an essay introductory paragraph. This is exactly what the contents of this article provides, every important detail that one needs to know to make you write that good essay introduction.There are tons of online writing services where students buy essays
or buy research papers to be able to meet deadline.
What is an essay introduction: An essay introduction is like your starting line in your whole essay journey. It is the beginning paragraph of your essay that sets the tone for your readers. Great essay introduction should catch your readers attention and make them engaged right from the start.
What is the purpose of an essay introduction: The purpose of an essay introduction is not different from engaging your readers and presenting your essay topic to them. Some great tips for a good essay introduction would be to:
● Get a focus
● Do some background research
● Get a plan for your essay
How to write an Essay introduction
Writing an essay introduction is not something to panic about; some writers prefer writing the body of their essay and conclusion before writing the introductory paragraph. Here are tips and what to know about an essay introduction.
How long should your essay introduction be? There are no specific rules on the length of your essay introductory paragraph. But the length of your introduction should be a percentage of the overall length of your essay in mind. Usually it is achieved to make sure your introductory paragraph carries 8% to 10% of your total essay word count.
What constitutes a good introduction? A good introductory paragraph should meet the following requirements:
● It should have a hook at the beginning of the paragraph to grab the readers attention.
● It should provide background information about your topic.
● The readers should have an idea about your main points to be discussed by merely reading the introductory paragraph.
● All necessary information regarding the setting, character and time frame should be provided.
● The end of your introduction should clearly state your thesis that reflects the main idea of your essay.
Steps to craft out a perfect essay introduction
1. Hook your reader: The initial sentence you begin with sets the tone for the rest of your essay. It is important to spend time and craft out an effective essay hook. Avoid long sentences and make sure it is something clear, concise and interesting to spark your readers curiosity. The hook should also give a sense of the topic you are writing and why it is interesting.
2. Give background Information: After a hookup statement the next thing is to give your readers the context they need to understand your argument and topic. Depending on the subject of your essay, you give out information that is relevant to your argument but not in much detail. Also the scope of your essay determines the contents of your background information.
3. Present your thesis statement: After background information is given on your topic, you narrow your focus and concentrate on your wish to say about your topic. A thesis statement is what sums up your overall argument. It is the most important part of your introduction and is what conveys your position in a debate or your view about a topic. A good thesis statement should be supported by evidence and explanation.
4. Outline your essay structure: An outline is important especially when the essay to be written is a long one. An outline is what will guide you through other parts of your essay like the body and conclusion.
5. Check and Revise: As you write your essay your idea and focus may change that is why sometimes writers prefer to write their introductory paragraph after they have written their body of essay and conclusion. Make sure you check your introduction and ensure it still matches the content of your essay. It is important to make sure that your thesis statement accurately matches the body of your essay.