CAIRO.- The Coptic Museum, the only one in the World dedicated to the art and antiquities of Christian Egypt, reopened its doors today after three years of restorations. Egyptian President, Hosni Mubarak, was present at the inauguration of the museum located at Misr Al Qadim (Ancient Egypt), where Christian, Islamic and Judaic temples are located. The museum, whose renovations have cost 5 million dollars, contains antiquities that date from the Coptic period, which spanned between the V and VII centuries of our era.
Morcos Smeika Pasha founded the Coptic Museum in 1910 AD to fulfill the needs of displaying monuments referred to that period in order to easily trace the history of Christianity in Egypt. The Museum was erected over a land that was willingly offered by the Christian Church under the presidency of Pope Kerolos V who died in 1927 AD and his successor Abba Yuanis XIXth in 1929 AD.
The Museum is located in an area of great historical importance within the precinct of the Babylon Fort, one of the remaining monuments referred to the Roman period. Lying over 8000 square meters, buildings and garden included, the Museum has been renovated with the two annexes the ancient and modern aisles and opened for visits in 1984 AD.
The objects displayed rise up to 16000 pieces approximately, arranged as possible in chronological order in 12 different sections. The display had been set according to scientific measures. The Coptic Museum, actually one of the Ministry of Culture dependencies, was run by the Coptic Patriarcate till 1931 AD. The average number of visitors range daily from 200 to 250 visitors of different nationalities.