Error: 3002 Source: GeoIP.asp line 56: File could not be opened. Artdaily.org - The First Art Newspaper on the Net
The First Art Newspaper on the Net Established in 1996 Friday, August 29, 2014
 
3D Images


Lincon Memorial


Matsumoto


Buddah


Big Ben


Brandenburg


Coliseum


David


Easter Island


Eiffel Tower


Empire State


Golden Gate


Hagia Sofia


KukulkŠn


Statue of Liberty


Neuschwanstein


Notre-Dame


Parthenon


Petra City


Pisa Tower


Mount Rushmore


Sphinx


Statue Of Khafre


Cathedral of St. Basil


Stonehenge


Taj Mahal


Thinker


Triumph


Washington Monument


Ziggurat

 
 

White House

The White House is the official home of the U.S. president in Washington, D.C. located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Together with the landscaped grounds it occupies 1600 hectares (18 acres) of land. It is the oldest building in the capital and has been the home of every U.S. president since John Adams. A public competition to choose a suitable design for a presidential residence was held in 1791. Competitors included Thomas Jefferson, among others. James Hoban, and Irish-American architect from Philadelphia won the commission and a $500 dollar prize. His plan for the building was a Georgian mansion in the Palladian style, like those constructed for 18th century English gentlemanís country homes. The plan included three floors and more than 100 rooms, to be built in pale gray sandstone. The building cornerstone was laid on October 13, 1792. By 1800, President John Adams and his wife were installed as the first occupants. The building was first nicknamed the White House around 1809, because of the striking contrast of the sandstone to the surrounding red brick buildings. President Theodore Roosevelt made the name official in 1902.

After extensive damages incurred during the British invasion of 1814, the White House was rebuilt under Hobanís direction. President James Monroe moved in during 1817. During the reconstruction, Hoban added east and west terraces to the buildingís flanks. A semicircular south portico and a colonnaded north portico were added in the 1820ís. The 19th century saw few changes in the building beyond interior redecoration and installations of modern conveniences.

Changes during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt included the conversion of second floor presidential office to family living quarters and the construction of the West Wing, providing additional office staff space. Other office space was added in 1942 with the East Wing construction. Both of these additions are connected to the main building through the west and east terraces respectively. During Harry Trumanís presidency, around 1948, the main building structure was found to be in need of great repair. Over the next four years, the entire interior of the building was overhauled, only the original exterior outer walls were left untouched. Jacqueline Kennedy made the last major changes during the 1960ís, adding historic and artistic items to the interior decor.



Museums, Exhibits, Artists, Milestones, Digital Art, Architecture, Photography,
Photographers, Special Photos, Special Reports, Featured Stories, Auctions, Art Fairs,
Anecdotes, Art Quiz, Education, Mythology, 3D Images, Last Week, .

 

Founder:
Ignacio Villarreal
Editor & Publisher: Jose Villarreal - Consultant: Ignacio Villarreal Jr.
Art Director: Juan José Sepúlveda Ramírez - Marketing: Carla Gutiérrez
Special Contributor: Liz Gangemi - Special Advisor: Carlos Amador
Contributing Editor: Carolina Farias

Royalville Communications, Inc
produces:

ignaciovillarreal.org theavemaria.org juncodelavega.org facundocabral-elfinal.org
Founder's Site. The most varied versions
of this beautiful prayer.
Hommage
to a Mexican poet.
Hommage
       

The First Art Newspaper on the Net. The Best Versions Of Ave Maria Song Junco de la Vega Site Ignacio Villarreal Site