Inside Outside Upside Down exhibits installation works at Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki
by five contemporary New Zealand artists:
· Simon Denny, New Zealands current representative at the 56th International Art Exhibition at the Venice Biennial
· Kate Newby, winner of The Walters Prize 2012 - New Zealands most prestigious contemporary art award
· Fiona Connor, The Walters Prize 2010 finalist
· Ronnie van Hout, The Walters Prize 2004 finalist
· Ruth Buchanan, Govett Brewster Art Gallerys 2015 New Zealand artist in residence
The artworks all show evidence of exploring the boundaries of interior space whether that is a room, a mind or a nation for creative effects. They do so by performing a range of simple inversions which bring the outside in, or take the inside out.
Part of Fiona Connors Mount Gabriel, Ruby and Ash installation will be exhibited outside the Gallery on the edge of Albert Park.
Each work being exhibited has been acquired over the last decade, either into the Gallerys own collection or the Chartwell collection on loan to the Gallery. Inside Outside Upside Down exhibits these works for the first time since their acquisition and in a fresh, explorative context. The works include:
· Simon Denny, Freeview Passport: Channel Document NZ presentation 2012, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, purchased 2012
· Kate Newby a selection of works including: I'm so ready 2009, wool carpet, dye and red wine, Chartwell Collection, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, purchased 2009
· Ronnie van Hout, No Exit II 2003, fibreglass, polymer clay, paint, found objects (clothing and shoes), mirror, taxidermy birds, trestle table, portable DVD players and videos (single channel, standard definition, 4:3, colour, stereo sound), Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, purchased 2006
· Fiona Connor a selection of works from Mount Gabriel, Ruby and Ash, including: Documentation of Object No. 5, Mount Gabriel, Ruby and Ash (to beach sign) 2012, Chartwell Collection, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, purchased 2012
· Ruth Buchanan a selection of works including: An Image of a Solid 2012, hand-dyed rope, suspension connections, crepe fabric, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, purchased 2013.