The annual Bonhams
Stafford Sale of Pioneer, Vintage, and Collectors Motorcycles & Memorabilia yesterday achieved a total of £2,034,250.
The star lot of the sale, the ex-George Brough, Brough Superior SS100, made a fantastic result, realising £253,500 on an estimate of £140,000-180,000. Registered in 1939, the motorcycle was campaigned by George Brough himself in the London-Edinburgh Trial that same year.
The ex-Phil Vare 1929 Scott racing motorcycle, raced by Vare at the Isle of Man TT, sold for £31,050.
Ben Walker, Head of Motorcycles at Bonhams, said, "We are delighted with the results achieved for this long and well-established sale. The SS100 was a record price at auction for a Matchless engined example and the owner was truly astounded with the result achieved.
Overall the sale was exceptional - and a real return to form. An outstanding 89% of lots were sold (91% by value), with many machines selling over estimate. Online bidding was strong with buyers from as far away as Australia and New Zealand - along with people in the auction room from, amongst other countries, Canada, America, France, Italy and Holland."
There were a number of great surprise results, with items far exceeding their estimates:
- Lot 233: 1972 MV Agusta 750S- estimated at £45,000-55,000; sold for £85,500
- Lot 173: c.1914 Henderson Model C- estimated at £40,000-60,000; sold for £79,900
- Lot 209: 1953 Vincent 998cc Black Shadow- estimated at £38,000-45,000, sold for £70,940
- Lot 245: Still in original crate, 'as new' condition, 1989 Ducati 888cc Lucchinelli Replica Racing Motorcycle- estimated at £14,000-18,000; sold for £37,950
- Lot 164: 1939 Brough Superior 990cc SS80 Project- estimated at £12,000-18,000; sold for £36,800
Malcolm Barber, Bonhams Group CEO and auctioneer at the Sale, commented, New buyers and international bidding buoyed prices with a strong sell through rate. A new venue within the Show for the first time in 27 years gave greater comfort to bidders and a better viewing platform.
The barometer of the international motorcycle market each year in April at the Stafford International Classic MotorCycle show and the Bonhams auction - continues to show all the trends and indicators for this important collectors market - and the indicators are strong!