Liverpools International Slavery Museum
is to grow and get its own entrance - the grand Dock Traffic Office building.
Planning permission has been granted for the ambitious expansion plans. Currently the Slavery Museum is in the Merseyside Maritime Museum and entered on the third floor.
But the new plans will see the museum have its own entrance at the Dock Traffic Office and a striking glass walkway will connect the two buildings.
The Slavery Museum opened in August 2007 and in March welcomed its one millionth visitor.
It is the only museum of its kind to look at aspects of historical and contemporary slavery as well as being an international hub for resources on human rights issues.
Last year it won a prestigious UNESCO Madanjeet Singh Prize for its promotion of tolerance and non violence.
Dr Richard Benjamin, Head of the International Slavery Museum, said: "Its great news that planning permission has been granted as we need to build on the success and growing influence of the museum.
Its important we expand and offer more in terms of educational and community space as facilities for family history research. We will have a state-of-the-art performance space and areas were school groups can have breakout sessions.
The scheme has been designed by Liverpool architects Austin-Smith:Lord, who are based in the Port of Liverpool Building.
The development work is subject to funding but could be completed by 2012.
At present, the Dock Traffic Office building houses National Museums Liverpool staff. The Grade 1 listed building was built in 1848 and in recent years was the home of Granada TV.
The International Slavery Museum is located just yards away from the docks where 18th century slave trading ships began their journeys to Africa to collect and sell on slaves.