As types and styles of art move further into the 21st Century the ways it is bought and sold also progresses. Compared to 30 years ago, the way in which buyers access and purchase artwork has changed dramatically. When you consider how the art sector has altered in terms of who is buying works these days it is obvious how dramatically the art market has changed.
Of course, the major factor in this change has been the invention of the internet and its subsequent development. Advances in how the internet can be used has certainly crossed over into the art world. With online art sales generating more than $4 billion in 2017
, it is clear to see that it is competing with traditional, offline methods of selling for many artists.
Marketing art in the 21st Century
What does this all mean for an artist in the modern artworld
? In particular, what does it mean for marketing your artwork? All artists need to not only be aware of the new ways of marketing and selling they also have to be able to implement them. By moving with the times into the digital world you will be doing all you can to let as many people as possible know about your artwork.
Creative ways to market art
If you are looking for some ideas on how to market your artwork in the 21st Century, then the below tips should prove useful:
• Create a website – if you don’t have your own website to market your pieces then you certainly should have. Many people will want to visit your website to find out more about you and your art, even if they meet you in person first. Having your own website allows you to craft the message you are presenting to the public and to market your services to a larger audience than you will ever have had before.
• Produce an animated video – a great tip is to create a unique and creative animated video to place on your website and share online. That isn’t hard with an easy to use online animator
that you can find on the internet. Simply decide what you want to say to people and you will soon have an innovative piece of marketing content to drive sales.
• Social media marketing – we cannot talk about marketing in the 21st Century without mentioning social media. This is perhaps the biggest and most effective tool you can use and even better, it is free! The major channels like Facebook and Twitter have millions of users which makes it a huge marketing opportunity of which to take advantage. The key is to not only post images of your artwork but also to connect with people on a personal level.
• Online selling platforms – why not try listing your artwork on online selling platforms? Many people wishing to buy art will use these and having a presence there will market your pieces to many more people than otherwise might see them. You could try Etsy or more specific art sites that sell work online.
• Create a buzz – this is not exactly a new way of marketing but feels even more relevant now there is so much competition to go up against. Try to think of fresh ways to get your name and art out there – the buzz this creates will naturally bring you to people’s attention. This could be anything from a staged public event to online video content – just make sure it is something legal!
If you are serious about making art your career, then you need to pay attention to how marketing now works. This will not only allow you to reach many more people but also be at the forefront of using the best modern marketing techniques to succeed.
Sell art the easy way in the 21st Century
To sell art, you need to find effective ways to market it first. After all, you may produce the most stunning landscapes or still life paintings, but no-one will buy them if they cannot see them. The above tips provide some fabulous and easy ways to boost your art marketing for the modern age. While traditional methods like connecting with people offline still works, the above tips will help you take advantage of all the other marketing methods that exist in today’s art world.