Max Pechstein (1881-1955) is one of the pioneers of German Expressionism. The retrospective presents more than 130 paintings, drawings, prints, and works of applied arts by the Expressionist by passion. In addition to important masterpieces by notable German and European museums and collections the show also displays less known aspects of Max Pechsteins art, for example the earliest painting dating from 1894, some of the rare works of applied arts, privately owned graphic that has never or seldom been on show, and outstanding pieces of his late work. The exhibition, on view from July 10th until November 1st, is completed by original documents and a documentary on the artist.
In addition to important works dating from 1906-1912, the time Max Pechstein belonged to the Dresden artist group Die Brücke, the exhibition concentrates on a period lasting until the 1930s, when the artist combined Expressionisms powerful use of colour with a more academic approach to imagery. A special focus is on the works of applied art which Pechstein had been commissioned for throughout his life. This aspect of the show ties up to the
Ahlen Art Museum
s exhibition Farblicht (2001) dedicated to the collection of Gottfried Heinersdorff, the director of a famous Berlin manufactory of glass and mosaics who commissioned Pechstein among a number of artists. The Ahlen Art Museum features the retrospectives only show in North Rhine-Westphalia after it had been on show in Kiel and Regensburg earlier this year. The exhibition has been set up in close cooperation with the artists heirs. Max Pechstein is presented as a central figure of Modernism whose oeuvre reaches far beyond the famous works of his time with the Brücke.