The First Art Newspaper on the Net Established in 1996 United States Thursday, October 23, 2014


Renovated Albertinum in Dresden Unites Past and Present in New Exhibition Halls
Staff of Semper opera's dance company perform during reopening ceremony of Albertinum museum in Dresden, Germany, 19 June 2010. Albertinum museum will be reopened on 19/20 June 2010 after six years of re-development and expansion. Some 51 million euro were invested to have the building meet current standards. EPA/MATTHIASHIEKEL.
DRESDEN.- After thorough-going restoration and refurbishment, the new Albertinum now presents itself as a centre of art from the Romantic period to the present day. The new exhibition halls are shared by the Galerie Neue Meister and the Skulpturensammlung. The holdings of both museums, with paintings ranging from Caspar David Friedrich to Gerhard Richter and sculptures ranging from Rodin to the 21st century, have an outstanding worldwide reputation. Huge glass-fronted display storerooms provide visitors with unprecedented insights into the internal workings of the museum and will open previously hidden works to view on a permanent basis. Within the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden the new Albertinum constitutes a bridge between the past and the future. Whilst the exhibition rooms provide a large stage for the presentation of modern and contemporary art, paintings by both old and modern masters are simultaneously restored behind the scenes. The new Albertinum as a whole is designed for encounters between painting and sculpture, between the Romantic and the Modern, between East and West and between yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Today’s Albertinum has little in common with the gabled Zeughaus, or arsenal, that was built between 1559 and 1563 and fulfilled important military functions over the following centuries. The most important remaining architectural features of the Renaissance building with its immense ground-floor vaults are the basement, the two-aisled hall with Tuscan pillars on the ground floor, two portals and parts of the rusticated façade. In the late 19th century a new arsenal was built in the Albertstadt district of Dresden and the old Zeughaus was no longer needed for its original purpose. In just four years (1884-1887) the building was converted for use as a museum to house the Skulpturensammlung. It was given its present Neo-Renaissance appearance and named after the reigning monarch at the time, King Albert of Saxony.

In the bombing of Dresden in 1945 the Albertinum was less severely damaged than the city’s other museum buildings. When the works of art that had been confiscated by the Red Army and transported to the Soviet Union after the war were returned to Dresden in the 1950s, the Albertinum became the collecting point for the art treasures. In the damaged building exhibitions were held of the precious objects belonging to the Grünes Gewölbe, of sculptures and porcelain, of coins and medals from the Münzkabinett, and of treasures from the Rüstkammer. The museums presented their most beautiful items together. The Porzellansammlung and the Rüstkammer soon moved out, but the others remained. After the restoration of the upper floor (1961–65) they were joined by the Galerie Neue Meister. In 2004 and 2006 respectively, the Münzkabinett and the Grünes Gewölbe moved into new premises in the Residenzschloss. Today the Albertinum is home to the Galerie Neue Meister and the Skulpturensammlung, two of Dresden’s most illustrious art museums.

Flood disaster and reconstruction: What began as a disaster turned out to be a new opportunity for the old Albertinum. In August 2002 flood water threatened the priceless museum treasures, and within a matter of hours unique paintings and sculptures had to be evacuated from the basement storerooms. This rescue mission would not have been possible without numerous helpers. The underground storerooms did not provide adequate protection for the precious cultural assets. Now a flood-proof workshop and storeroom complex hovers above the inner courtyard of the sandstone-clad building.

That, too, would not have been feasible without the assistance of generous partners. The foundation stone for the new structure and for the complete refurbishment of the Albertinum was laid at an art auction in November 2002 for which 40 renowned artists donated their own works. The auction raised the fantastic sum of 3.4 million Euros. Planning worked commenced. The total costs for the new structure and the restoration work eventually amounted to 46.7 million Euros. Through procedures conducted under the aegis of the state-owned enterprise Sächsisches Immobilien- und Baumanagement, an architectural solution was found which enabled a new structure to be built without altering or destroying the original fabric of this historic building.

The 60 metre long two-storey workshop and storeroom building, which weighs 2700 tonnes, is borne by a steel latticework structure that spans the inner courtyard like a bridge. The central space within the four-wing complex is not affected at all. With this unique and aesthetically pleasing technical solution, the architect Volker Staab and his team have succeeded in creating a flood-proof location in which to store works of art and at the same time generated a high-grade multifunctional inner courtyard. What is more, the spectacular new structure above the inner courtyard is hardly perceptible to visitors. From below it looks like a canopy and from outside it cannot be seen because it does not protrude above the roof of the building. The thoroughly refurbished exhibition halls, on the other hand, do look surprisingly new. What really is new for visitors is the entrance on the side of the building close to the Frauenkirche on Georg-Treu-Platz, and the entrance on the Brühlsche Terrasse has also changed. As before, you can turn left or right to start viewing the exhibitions, but now you can also go straight on. Then you find yourself on a kind of balcony in the inner courtyard, the ground floor of which is one storey below. The visitor also sees the display storerooms behind large panes of glass. However, the storeroom and workshop building is not visible even though the visitor in the courtyard is right under it. With the new Albertinum, Dresden’s museum architecture has well and truly arrived in the 21st century: spectacular but unobtrusive.
ImpressumSitemap

Dresden | Galerie Neue Meister | Skulpturensammlung | Caspar David Friedrich | Gerhard Richter |




Today's News

June 20, 2010

Renovated Albertinum in Dresden Unites Past and Present in New Exhibition Halls

Kick Back in Pantone Inspired Style: Pantone Hotel Opens in Brussels

Art Institute of Chicago Intertwines Sound & Vision in Exhibition

Hayward Gallery Reopens with International Survey of 36 Artists

Paris Photo 2010 will Put the Spotlight on Central Europe

Trela Media Published The Autobiography and Sex Life of Andy Warhol

Solo Exhibition with Photographs by Maura Sullivan at Kahmann Gallery

Nelson-Atkins Announces Exhibition of Vibrant Watercolors by Alfred Jacob Miller

Giuseppe Moccia Wins PHotoEspaña OjodePez Human Values Award

Delaware Art Museum Presents Fifty Works for the First State

Emiliano Zapata "Rides" to the Chapultepec Castle in New Exhibition

Exhibition Brings Together the Great Names of Belgian Contemporary Art

Alexey Titarenko: Black and White Saint-Petersburg at Pobeda Gallery

Art and Design to Raise Funds for Literacy in London

Scandinavian Home Interiors as Seen through the Eyes of Artists at Nationalmuseum

Odette England and Elaine Duigenan Exhibit at Klompching Gallery

Eight Photographers for Harbourfront Centre's Major Commission for Outdoor Exhibition

Times Square Alliance Public Art Program Invites Artists Propose Projects

National Museum of American History Showcases Two New Exhibits

IMLS Launches National Campaign to Promote 21st Century Skills and Community Engagement

Most Popular Last Seven Days



1.- Image of a Christ without a beard, short hair and wearing a toga unearthed in Spain

2.- Giant mosaic unearthed in mysterious tomb in Amphipolis in northern Macedonia

3.- Bonhams sale of 18th century French decorative arts to benefit Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco

4.- Paris flustered by erection of 'sex-toy' sculpture; Paul McCarthy slapped by a passer-by

5.- High art or vile pornography? Marquis de Sade explored in Orsay museum exhibition

6.- 'Cubism: The Leonard A. Lauder Collection' opens at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

7.- Greek culture minister says Elgin Marbles return a matter of 'global heritage'

8.- Vandals deflate Paris 'sex-toy' sculpture by American artist Paul McCarthy after outrage

9.- Exhibition at National Gallery in London explores Rembrandt's final years of painting

10.- 'Hans Memling: A Flemish Renaissance' opens at the Scuderie del Quirinale in Rome

Related Stories



Dresden's Museum of Military History redesigned by Architect Daniel Libeskind

State of the Art Since 1560: Anniversary Exhibition in the Dresden Residenzschloss

New Georg Baselitz Exhibition Deals with the Subject of Dresden and its History

Carl Gustav Carus: Nature and Idea Opens at Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden



Museums, Exhibits, Artists, Milestones, Digital Art, Architecture, Photography,
Photographers, Special Photos, Special Reports, Featured Stories, Auctions, Art Fairs,
Anecdotes, Art Quiz, Education, Mythology, 3D Images, Last Week, .

 

Founder:
Ignacio Villarreal
Editor & Publisher: Jose Villarreal - Consultant: Ignacio Villarreal Jr.
Art Director: Juan José Sepúlveda Ramírez - Marketing: Carla Gutiérrez
Special Contributor: Liz Gangemi - Special Advisor: Carlos Amador
Contributing Editor: Carolina Farias

Royalville Communications, Inc
produces:

ignaciovillarreal.org theavemaria.org juncodelavega.org facundocabral-elfinal.org
Founder's Site. The most varied versions
of this beautiful prayer.
Hommage
to a Mexican poet.
Hommage
       

The First Art Newspaper on the Net. The Best Versions Of Ave Maria Song Junco de la Vega Site Ignacio Villarreal Site