The First Art Newspaper on the Net Established in 1996 United States Wednesday, July 30, 2014


The Frick Collection Announces 75th Anniversary Celebrations
Exterior of the Frick Collection Museum at 1 East 70th Street and Fifth Avenue in New York City. AP Photo.
NEW YORK, NY.- Seventy-five years ago, the intention of Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919) to present to New York City his extraordinary art collection and magnificent mansion at 1 East 70th Street was realized with the opening of The Frick Collection. The museum’s opening in 1935 was accompanied by national headlines, and present at the inaugural celebration were luminaries of the social and political worlds. In attendance were Colonel and Mrs. Charles Lindbergh as well as members of the Astor, Bache, Carnegie, Mellon, Rockefeller, Straus, Sulzberger, Vanderbilt, and Warburg families. Critics spoke of it as a great “legacy of beauty” and one where the quality of its collection was “unsurpassed anywhere.” That same year, the Frick Art Reference Library (founded in 1920 by Frick’s daughter, Helen) was greatly expanded and moved into a new building on the same lot as the original Frick mansion. Thus, 2010 is a significant milestone for the entire institution, and to mark the occasion, the Frick will present a number of celebrations, programs, and new offerings, culminating with a free day on December 16, 2010, the anniversary of the museum’s public opening in 1935.

Summer Display Explores the 1935 Transformation of the Mansion into a Museum and Library
With Henry Clay Frick’s death in 1919, his will was made public and the destiny of his collection and mansion as a museum was formalized, but not yet set into motion. After the death of his wife, Adelaide, in 1931, the Board of Trustees established by Mr. Frick’s will became engaged in discussions about how to create a museum from this legacy. Ultimately, the house, built in 1913–14 by Thomas Hastings (1860–1929) of Carrère and Hastings, underwent expansion in order to transform it into a space suitable as a public institution. Significantly and sensitively enlarged by architect John Russell Pope (1873–1937), the resulting building opened to a fascinated public in December 1935. This summer, an educational display in the Cabinet, From Mansion to Museum: The Frick Collection Celebrates Seventy-Five Years, presents a group of related architectural drawings, photographs, and other materials. At the centerpiece of this display is a selection of elegant elevations executed for Pope by the artist Angelo Magnanti (1879–1969). These large-scale illustrations were a gift from the architect to the museum’s first director, Frederick Mortimer Clapp (1879–1969), presented in 1935 in honor of the museum’s opening. They offer insights into Pope’s vision for the series of new rooms that have since become beloved galleries and contemplative spaces. Also included will be a newly acquired pen and ink drawing by Vernon Howe Bailey (1874–1953) depicting the construction of the Frick Art Reference Library at 10 East 71st Street, designed by Pope in 1933. Bailey’s drawing was commissioned by The New York Sun for its daily feature, “Intimate Sketches of New York City,” and appeared in the April 23, 1934, issue. A floor plan accompanied by archival and new photography will elucidate the most significant alterations to The Frick Collection’s interior and, together with the drawings, will tell the story of transforming the once-private mansion into a public museum. This display will be on view from June 22 through September 5, 2010.

A New Orientation Film Delights Visitors
In anticipation of this anniversary year, the Frick has recently launched a new visitor education film, which replaces a seventeen-year-old slide-based production. The film airs at the museum daily, three times every hour, beginning at 10:20 a.m. Narrated by members of the Frick’s senior staff, this eleven-minute presentation was produced and directed by the award-winning filmmaker Christopher Noey. Shot in HD throughout the Frick’s refurbished and relit galleries, it tells the story of Mr. Frick, his home, and his art collection and includes recently restored archival footage and other previously unreleased materials.

Building the Frick Collection
An Introduction to the House and Its Collections

Colin B. Bailey, the Frick’s Associate Director and Peter Jay Sharp Chief Curator, is the author of an acclaimed publication that documents the building at 1 East 70th Street and explores how the creation of this residence influenced the taste of the collector in the final years of his life. Building The Frick Collection also addresses the transition from mansion to public museum subsequently undertaken by John Russell Pope. Using recently acquired and hitherto unpublished archival materials, Bailey carefully documents the history of the house and its owner and reveals for the first time Frick’s passionate involvement in the project. By drawing upon recent studies of domestic architecture and interior decoration during the Gilded Age, he places Frick’s achievement in context. Elegantly written and lavishly illustrated, the book is intended for a general readership while also making an important contribution to the history of collecting in twentieth-century New York. It is available in softcover ($14.95) and hardcover ($25.95) in the Museum Shop of the Frick, on the institution’s Web site (www.frick.orgColin org), and by phone (212) 547-6848.

Bailey is presently researching and writing the museum’s first book on its magnificent Fragonard Room and the paintings installed there since Henry Clay Frick purchased them through art dealer Joseph Duveen from the estate of J. P. Morgan. This room, recently relit and refurbished, has long been a signature gallery at the Frick, and Bailey’s book will explore the fascinating story of its centerpiece, the Progress of Love panels by Jean-Honoré Fragonard (1732–1806) that are widely considered to be the artist’s masterpiece. Published by D. Giles Limited, London, this well illustrated publication is forthcoming.

The Frick Collection | 75th Anniversary Celebrations | Henry Clay Frick |


Today's News

March 24, 2010

Cy Twombly: Third Contemporary Artist Invited to Install a Permanent Work at the Louvre

Museum of Modern Art Adds @ Symbol to Design Collection

Cornell University Study Super-Sizes the "Last Supper"

Christie's Presents Selections from the Baio Collection of Photographs this Spring

Jean Nouvel Commissioned to Design 10th Serpentine Gallery Pavilion

Sotheby's Sets Record for Classical Chinese Painting Sold in the US

Renaissance Rivals Brought Together for Rare Art Exhibition in Gothenburg

Abu Dhabi Launches Tender Competition for Louvre Museum

Awe-Inspiring Staffordshire Hoard Saved for the Nation

Signed Copy of Wind in the Willows Triumphs at Bonhams

First Museum Display Dedicated to Philip de Laszlo in Over 70 Years

Exhibition Dedicated to the Works of Women Artists Opens at The Chrysler

Solo Exhibition of New Paintings by Valerie Jaudon at Von Lintel Gallery

Americas Society Showing Work by Argentine Artist Marta Minujín

New Multichannel Video Installation by Alfredo Jaar on View at University of Connecticut

St. Louis Historical Museum to Host Vatican Collection

The Frick Collection Announces 75th Anniversary Celebrations

Nevada Museum of Art Garners National Funding Awards

National Endowment for the Arts Presents Live Webcast of its 169th National Council on the Arts Meeting

Gibbes Museum of Art Announces Short List of Finalists for the 2010 Elizabeth and Mallory Factor Prize

Most Popular Last Seven Days



1.- Archaeologists discover Roman 'free choice' cemetery in the 2,700-year-old ancient port of Rome

2.- Romanians must pay 18 million euros over Kunsthal Museum Rotterdam art heist

3.- Hello Kitty designer Yuko Yamaguchi defends cute character as cat turns 40 years old

4.- eBay and Sotheby's partner to bring world class art and collectibles to a global community

5.- Exhibition on Screen returns with new series of films bringing great art to big screens across the globe

6.- Marina Abramović reaches half way point of her '512 Hours' performance at the Serpentine Gallery

7.- The Phillips Collection in Washington introduces a uCurate app for curating on-the-go

8.- United States comic icon Archie Andrews dies saving openly gay character

9.- New feathered predatory fossil, unearthed in China, sheds light on dinosaur flight

10.- Exhibition at Thyssen Bornemisza Museum presents an analysis of the concept of the 'unfinished'

Related Stories



"Picasso's Drawings, 1890-1921: Reinventing Tradition" traveling exhibition at The Frick Collection

Critically Acclaimed Gallery Renovations Continue with Two Major Fall Projects

Landmarks Preservation Commission Approves Enclosure of Frick Portico

Frick Announces Intention to Enclose Portico to Create Gallery for Sculpture and Decorative Arts

Fall Focus on Spanish Art through Two Frick Presentations

Dr. Stephen J. Bury Appointed Chief Librarian at the Frick Art Reference Library

Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Awards the Frick Collection a $1 Million Grant

Frick Collection Announces European Painting Exhibition for 2010

The Frick Collection Completes Series of Reinstallations



Museums, Exhibits, Artists, Milestones, Digital Art, Architecture, Photography,
Photographers, Special Photos, Special Reports, Featured Stories, Auctions, Art Fairs,
Anecdotes, Art Quiz, Education, Mythology, 3D Images, Last Week, .

 

Founder:
Ignacio Villarreal
Editor & Publisher: Jose Villarreal - Consultant: Ignacio Villarreal Jr.
Art Director: Juan José Sepúlveda Rmz. - Marketing: Carla Gutiérrez
Special Contributor: Liz Gangemi - Special Advisor: Carlos Amador
Contributing Editor: Carolina Farias

Royalville Communications, Inc
produces:

ignaciovillarreal.org theavemaria.org juncodelavega.org facundocabral-elfinal.org
Founder's Site. The most varied versions
of this beautiful prayer.
Hommage
to a Mexican poet.
Hommage
       

The First Art Newspaper on the Net. The Best Versions Of Ave Maria Song Junco de la Vega Site Ignacio Villarreal Site