Sixty seven original Prehispanic ceramic pieces from Paquime region, most of them from the Medium period (1060-1340), were restored by National Institute of Anthropology and History
(INAH) to be exhibited at Casas Chihuahua Cultural Heritage Center, from August 2009.
Pots, flat bowls and effigy vessels integrate the Casas Grandes culture collection that presented deterioration; surface cleaning of the red and black earthenware, salts and dust removal and reintegration, in some cases, was carried on.
Intervention and consolidation of archaeological pieces was in charge of restorer Pablo Vidal from Chihuahua INAH Center, with the collaboration of restorers of the National School of Conservation, Restoration and Museography (ENCRyM) and Chihuahua Autonomous University (UACH).
Archaeologist Elsa Rodriguez, head of Chihuahua INAH Center, explained that integral restoration will allow the heap exhibition for the first time at Casa Chihuahua.
Polychrome ceramic pieces intervention and exhibition was possible thanks to inter institutional negotiations between INAH and UACH, with the aim of divulgating cultural heritage, mentioned Elsa Rodriguez.
Eduardo Gamboa Carrera, director of Paquime Archaeological Zone, commented that restoration pretends to give back cultural value to the pieces that had ritual and domestic uses.
Some vessels were created during the Old period (700-1060 AD) with low-relief designs made with sharp tools. Others present symmetric and delicate forms, while Medium period ones are decorated inside and outside, commented Gamboa.
Paquime Archaeological Zone, declared World Heritage in 1998 by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), was between 800 and 1200 Ad a ceramic production center. Dwellers exchanged their products for turquoise pieces with peoples from the region that today is New Mexico, USA.