Multiple bidders drove the final price for an Hermès Limited Edition 35cm Barenia Leather & Osier Wicker Picnic Kelly Bag with Palladium Hardware to $62,500 to help push the total from Heritage Auctions
' Spring Luxury Accessories Auction to $1,438,852 March 25 in Dallas.
The Kelly Picnic is a true collector's piece. This limited edition piece, created using wicker and leather, was introduced first in 2011. Wicker handbags are in growing demand in recent years, and have emerged as evidence of the steady evolution of Hermès handbags.
"This auction represented an outstanding Hermès collection and the largest offering of Chanel exotic handbags at one auction," Heritage Auctions Luxury Accessories Director Diane D'Amato said, "and hosting our Signature Auction on Sunday really attracted the finest collectors."
An Hermès 30cm Matte Sanguine Alligator Birkin Bag with Palladium Hardware inspired a surge of competitive before realizing $27,500. With an interior done in matching Sanguine Chevre Leather, it features two rolled handles, Palladium Hardware and a flap top with a turnlock closure. It includes one zip pocket and a slip pocket, and comes with two keys, a lock, a clochette, an Hermès box, dustbag, clochette dustbag, protective felt, rain protector and care card.
The same $27,500 price was paid for Hermès 30cm Shiny Vert Veronese Nilo Crocodile Birkin Bag with Palladium Hardware. Its interior is done in matching Vert Veronese Chevre Leather, features one zip pocket and a slip pocket, and includes two keys, a lock and a clochette. It comes with an Hermès dustbag, a clochette dustbag, protective felt and its CITES document.
The third lot to realize $27,500 was an Hermès 29cm Black Calf Box Leather Double Gusset Constance Cartable Bag with Palladium Hardware, which features an H clasp closure with a leather inlay outlined with Palladium Hardware and a rear slip pocket on the exterior. Designed to be carried by hand, its shoulder strap is shorter than most. The Black Agneau leather interior is divided into two compartments, with one slip pocket and one zip pocket.
Two lots an Hermès 28cm Matte Havane Nilo Crocodile Retourne Kelly Bag with Palladium Hardware and an Hermès Amethyst Alligator Kelly Pochette Bag with Palladium Hardware went for $25,000 each.
Also featured was a group of Chanel exotics, including:
· Chanel Fuchsia Alligator Small Classic Flap Bag with Gold Hardware: $21,250
· Chanel Orange Alligator Small Classic Flap Bag with Gold Hardware: $10,312.50
· Chanel Fuchsia Python Jumbo Classic Double Flap Bag with Shiny Ruthenium Hardware: $8,750
· Chanel White Python Reissue 225 Double Flap Bag with Gold Hardware: $7,812.50
· Chanel Yellow Python Jumbo Double Flap Bag with Ruthenium Hardware: est. $5,875
· Chanel Turquoise Python Jumbo Double Flap Bag with Gold Hardware: $5,750
Other top lots included, but were not limited to:
· Hermès Shiny Geranium Porosus Crocodile Kelly Cut Clutch Bag with Gold Hardware: $22,500
· Hermès 35cm Mykonos Alligator Retourne Kelly Bag with Palladium Hardware: $18,750
· Hermès 35cm Blue Hydra Clemence Leather Birkin Bag with Palladium Hardware: $18,750
· Hermès 30cm Matte Rouge H Nilo Crocodile Birkin Bag with Gold Hardware: $18,750